Saturday, May 30, 2009

Sitting, Waiting, Wishing

Update for those I'm not in regular contact with:

About a year ago (July 2008), Jake decided it was time to make a career change. He moved from our home in Heber, Utah to Norco, California (Riverside county, for those not familiar with Horsetown USA - I'm not trying to be funny, this is the town's official nickname). I stayed behind, got the house sold and packed up, and followed him two months later. My sister Susie and her husband Christian generously offered to let us stay with them while Jake trained and awaited his permanent placement. We said "we'll be here four to six months, max. Things will move quickly." Expecting to be gone by the end of the year, Jake hurriedly completed his training hours, studied his butt off for his federal and state licensing exams, passed both, got licensed...and then - NOTHING. I got pregant last fall, thinking for sure we would be moved and settled into our new home before I was out of the pukey first trimester. Nope. I deliver this kid in five weeks, and here we are still.

To further complicate matters, Jake was assigned back in March to "help out" at a building in a small town near Sacramento (450 miles away, for those not familiar with California's geography). We weren't thrilled about the location (thinking it might end in a permanent placement), but we were eager to get settled somewhere, anywhere. Jake started flying up on Monday mornings, and returning home Friday nights. Weeks quickly turned into months. We are coming up on three months now of this fun "commute." I kept hoping one day Jake would call and say "its official, let's get you guys moved up here." But the call never came. Keep in mind we are still living with my poor sister and her family.

About a week ago, we finally received some news. Yes! Except it wasn't really that great. Jake will continue to commute to Sacramento for another few weeks, and then be down here for the birth of the baby. At least I know where I will be delivering the baby. I was starting to think I was going to deliver him in a stable. Having completely overstayed our welcome here at the Demke's, we are currently looking for a place to live, month-to-month, until Jake receives a permanent placement. My patience is so long gone. While I am extremely grateful that Jake has a job, I am so frustrated!! I have zero control over the placement situation, which is really hard for me to accept because I like to have control over everything (not like world domination control, just control over everything in my own life). I know there are lessons the Lord wants me to learn from all of this (probably humility and patience), and I know I am not doing a very good job learning those things. I just want it all to be over.

In other Beaman news - I'm having a baby in 5 weeks! Hooray! Despite everything else going on, we are so excited to welcome our second son, Micah, to the world on July 8 (7/8/09 - yes, I did plan that). I am hoping he will be another easy, mellow, content little guy, but I don't expect to be that lucky. This pregnancy has been harder than my last in a lot of ways, (not helped by the previously explained situation), but it has gone by so fast! Too fast, seeing as how we are still homeless! With Wyatt, we assumed everything was as healthy as could be, and then everything fell apart right at the end. With Micah, we've been assuming things can go wrong at any moment, but so far everything is perfect. I have to go to two or three appointments each week, but it brings me so much peace of mind. I'm a little worried about going from one child to two, but this time around, I know how precious and fun (in a weird, sleep-sapping, energy-draining way) new babies are. I am so excited!

Sitting, waiting, wishing. Jack's been there, he knows how I feel. I'm trying to go with the flow, enjoy the ride, but its hard to not be able to plan for the future. At the same time, I do recognize how blessed I am, and I am grateful for those blessings. I have faith the Lord has a plan for us, I just wish I knew what it was. I'll keep you posted if things change. In the mean time, any words of advice?

11 comments:

Susie Demke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susie Demke said...

FYI- For anyone reading this. Having Erin and Jake stay here with us has been a huge blessing to our family. They have gone our of their way to make our lives easier and that they have. Any little thing they have ever noticed that we may have been in need of, in anyway shape or form, they do it. Did it. They have become two of our best pals. It's my sincerest hope and wish and prayer that they will be able to stay close to us. This is what I will miss when they are gone Our fun dinner conversations. Sitting around on the couch laughing and watching the Food Network or Basketball. Talking/laughing about the kids. Having Jake do my dinner dishes for me every night. And the breakfast dishes too. Fixing my garbage disposal every time I break it. Monthly. When they are gone the poo will sit on the grass a little longer. We will probably miss a lot of garbage days. All the little odds and ends that need fixing and tended too will go untouched and unnoticed now. Mostly thought, I won't have my sister around to help me out and listen to me grouse and whine and then put everything into perspective for me. I will have to go see a real therapist now. ANd pay for it. Mostly I just won't have my sister around. No visit was overstayed. Don't listen to Erin. There will be be one person who will be sad to see them go. Bo. The dog. KIDDING! ME!!! And Christian. Opps that's two.

cindave said...

that last paragraph was SO ME!!! situations are different, but the feelings are the same. i don't know if you've looked at my blog lately, but dave got laid off the day before caleb was born, so we are totally up in the air yet again. love it. no, HATE it. it's rough. i'm so glad you finally started a blog, because i have so missed you and wondered what you're up to! can't wait to see little micah, and more pics of wyatt. i haven't gotten past this post yet, maybe there are some already. anyway, i love you and am so happy to hear from you and get an update!

Renee Hart said...

I'm so glad you finally joined the wonderful world of blogging! Now I can keep a little better track of you. I LOVE your blog name!
Mom

ashtrost said...

I'm so happy you're blogging. After reading your last entry I'm glad Brian didn't get a temporary management position in San Jose. He would have flown out on Monday morning and got home on Friday. Would have made me go crazy. I love the picture slide show you have. How did you do it? See you're blog savvy!

kelly said...

It is nice to hear what's going on in your life now. It's been a while, since you were in high school! I have a Micah too, my oldest son. I love that name.

ashtrost said...

I wish I would have remembered to contact you while we were there. We kept meeting up with Kevin's old college friends so I forgot to call mine! Also we were like the only ones on the beach all weekend. It was too cold. Your sister's message was so nice!

jenny demke said...

welcome blogger! i'm so excited to read your blogs. you and your sister are such good writers. and i am not. i try to NOT write on my blogs as much as possible because i am afraid i will be compared to people like you and susie.
congratulations on your exciting new move. we are really going to miss seeing you and your cute family at all of the demke family parties. i was hoping you were going to live in norco forever. hopefully we will get to see baby micah before you go.

Scott said...

l am so excited that you started a blog. Reading made me totally miss you. Your family is adorable. Wyatt is so big. He has such beautiful eyes. I cannot imagine not seeing my husband during the week. You have such a better attitude than me. I cannot wait to see the pictures of the new baby.

Sylvia said...

Drink. Drink till the cows come home. It's a known fact that pregnant drunks are way less stressed than sober ones.

KIDDING!! Totally kidding. I'm so glad you started a blog, and that's not me being trite--I really am glad. I love staying cyber-ly in touch with my friends. And i totally, totally feel you on the where-is-my-husband-and-where-the-FOO-are-we-going-to-live-and-have-this-baby? emotions. It's so hard, but you are doing a great job and remember: you can do it. You can do it, you can do it. I never though I'd be able to do any of the things I've done--they go against every OCD, controlling and planning tendency in my body--but in the end, you just do it and then say, Well looky there, I got thru it!

I can't wait to see pics of Micah! Way to already have a name, by the way. Wyatt is a beautiful child, Erin. He really is.

TTFN.

Hafer Family said...

i hopeyou guys get to stay around also, you two sisters are hilarious and very talented writers. I didn't really know Erin, you share Susies gift of gab!! Plus you are both gorgeous- not fair -so much all together in one gene pool??!!! and I thought I was a control freak- you planned 06/07/09???? seriously?? come float in the pool anytime- I know how that last strech of preggers is.