Monday, June 15, 2009

Duct Tape Diaper

I'm really frustrated and need some advice from seasoned moms. Or from anyone with more creativity than I have. Wyatt learned how to rip off his diapers a while ago, and has started doing it at night. Removing clothing is one of his hobbies for awhile now, and removing diapers is even more exciting, apparently. During the day, this isn't really a problem. I tell him no, and if he continues doing it he gets a time out. We did this one time, problem solved. Only now, he can't resist taking off his diapers at night. And then he pees everywhere. I mean, EVERYWHERE. We have already had to replace pillows (yes, I know pillows are a safety issue in cribs, but he likes to cuddle with them), and I am getting sick of having to wash his sheets, pillow, blankies, and clothes in the "sanitary" cycle every single morning (what? I'm not lazy, it just takes like 3 hours!)! Plus, its disgusting! Although, I have to say, its pretty cute when I go to get him in the morning and see his little tiny bare butt sticking up in the air (preferred sleep position). However, then the aww-how-cute feeling quickly disappears when I see the pee puddles. Anyway, so the first few times, I gave him a stern talking-to (yes, this actually usually does work with him. And yes, I know I am spoiled.). Didn't help. Time-outs won't work for something that happened hours and hours ago. But then, a-ha! We decided to duct-tape his diaper on! Brilliant! Feeling smug, we put him to bed last night thinking we had won.

No sir-ree. I went in to check on him before I went to bed, and there's Wyatt, exposing himself to the world. He had ripped off the front of his diaper, leaving a duct-tape belt, with a long flap of diaper hanging off his backside, snoozing peacefully in his urine-soaked sheets and blankies. I was so angry! My plans were foiled again! So now I am at a loss. How do I solve this problem?

And if anyone suggests potty-training, I will tell you what I told Jake (who also suggested this): I do not want to potty train a child three weeks before I give birth to another child. I do not have the patience or the mobility to be cleaning up pee and poo from floors or sitting next to the toilet all day. Plus, he would just revert back to diapers once baby brother comes. So if there is anyone offering to come to my home and potty train my child for me, they are more than welcome to make the attempt. Otherwise, not going to happen.

But if any of you have other suggestions, please let me know. Also, I apologize if I have not been using the correct spelling of "duct" tape. I am too lazy to google the spelling, so just go with it.

7 comments:

cindave said...

alright, andersen never ripped his diaper off much, but that might be because he wore a onsie EVERY DAY for like a year. once he discovered his peep, he would put his hands down his pants and it would inevitably end up pointing straight up, so every diaper leaked up the side. not to mention the fact that he was starting a very bad habit! wyatt sounds pretty smart to get out of the duct tape, so i don't know if that will work for you, but it's worth a shot, right? it'll at least create more steps? it worked for A.

cindave said...

also, my 2 cents on potty training...DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!! i ONLY did andersen before the baby because dave's mom said she could do it in a day, and i had to leave. I got to have a shopping day with my sister, so i didn't really care if it worked! he caught on to peeing fast, but took weeks to get pooping down. so i was still the one cleaning up the messes, and sitting on the side of the tub for HOURS ON END at 7 months pregnant. he was MONTHS accident free, and even sleeping in underpants after like a week. and now after my frustrations have reached their limits, he is BACK in diapers because he won't stop pooping his pants, and "cleaning it up" himself. i put him back in diapers, quite literally to save his life. :) DO NOT POTTY TRAIN HIM RIGHT NOW!!!

kelly said...

the duct tape is a great idea, just next time instead of just around the waist, add some between his legs too, see if he can manuever out of that!

Erin said...

Excellent ideas! Duct tape between the legs, I should have thought of that earlier! I might actually outsmart my two year old! Thanks guys!

ashtrost said...

This is the first time I've heard of a kid doing this at night. You're smart about not bothering to potty train with a sibling coming, cuz it would be pointless. I never give my potty trained kids anything to drink 2 hours before bed. That could lessen the about of pee until this all gets fixed with the duct tape idea.

Luna said...

I was also going to suggest the "Chasity" belt of duct tape. I would put a strip or 2 between his legs first then tape over it with the belt. Maybe you could tape a shirt (one that can get tossed in a bit) under the belt but over the diaper so he can't rip the top of the diaper.

Luna said...

hey- not sure if it would leak over night, but would putting the diaper on him backwards thwart his effort? How about a backwards onesie. Also, packing or strapping tape might be harder to get around.