Jake has been in San Francisco for the last two weeks, and probably will be there for a few more. When he's gone, I get kind of sad. Kind of lonely. We have spent 6 of the last 12 months living apart. That takes a toll on me. So I am taking a cue from Maria Von Trapp (and Oprah). Here are a few of my favorite things:
1. The hour in the afternoon when both boys are asleep. It restores me. Silence. Ahh, sweet silence.
2. Diet Coke. Peanut Butter M&Ms. US Weekly. Curling up with these three things makes me happy as a clam.
3. Dreaming about, planning, going on, reminiscing about VACATION. Next up, Hawaii. Our fifth wedding anniversary is next year, so that's the excuse. I love dreaming about Hawaii while I'm nursing at three in the morning. And when I really want to dream big, I think about our 10th anniversary trip to Europe. Can't wait.
4. Shopping. Cliched, but true. I love it. I love that my husband is patient with me and my love for it. Mostly because he loves shopping too. For different things, but still. Doesn't matter if its shopping at Nordstrom, Costco, Target, Vons, or online for who knows what. I love it.
5. Cooking. I find chopping, sauteing, mixing, and dicing extremely therapeutic. I completely zone out, and at the end I get to eat. What could be better than that?
6. Listening to Wyatt sing. He is perhaps the worst singer on the planet. And it cracks me up. None of the notes or words are anywhere close to right, but he sings with gusto. At the top of his lungs. Grinning. Someday, if I can figure out how to get video onto my computer, I will post a clip of him singing. Even when he wakes up early I can't get mad at him when I hear him belting out Twinkle Twinkle Little Star from his crib.
7. Getting my hair done. I rarely like the results, but I sure enjoy the process.
8. Pedicures. Especially $15 pedicures, southern california special. That is quite possibly my favorite thing about living here. In addition to living by family, and the beach, and the nice weather. But especially the cheap pedicures.
9. Eating popsicles. Wyatt likes to eat them in his hippo pool.
10. Backpacking. Haven't been able to do this for a few years, probably won't be able to for a few more years to come. I have to wait until I'm not pregnant or breastfeeding. I guess I am secretly a little bit of a hermit, but I love the quiet and the isolation. And the physical exhaustion. Very satisfying.
Ahh, I feel better already.
8 comments:
I'm laughing right now, remembering when you climbed Mt Whitney and you hadn't worked out in like forever. That was random and quite amazing!!
that is really tough to have jake gone that long, especially with a brand new baby, and a toddler. i wish i were closer so we could get together! why'd you have to move to stupid california?? oh yeah, the cheap pedicures. :) well, i miss you. glad you're feeling better after remembering your favorite things. hang in there. give me a call sometime if you're bored and want to talk!
Such sweet sweet pictures. There is truly no more wonderful sight than babies sleeping.
Speaking of cooking- have you had a chance to see "Julie and Julia?" It is SO good! You will love it!
Mom
I love your list. I probably could have guessed everything, although I wouldn't have guessed the getting hair done, mostly because I only hear the complaining after. :) Hang in there sis-- have a great day. Is that pic of Wyatt'n'Popsicle taken in your backyard? It's pretty.
Awe Erin I have been thinking about you lately! We should hang out. That has GOT to be hard to have Jake away so much with a brand new baby! I am totally proud of you though for being positive and listing your favorite things...thats way better than what I would have been doing (including calling Jeff every 5 min and BEGGING him to come home) Hats off to you girl! You're tough.
I LOVE sleeping pictures. And I LOVE even more when naptime lines up. the best!
Hey Erin! Found your blog through Facebook. Your boys are cuties! Ryan and I have always loved the name Wyatt. :)
Where in Hawaii are you guys going? Ryan and I are planning to go to Maui and Oahu next year for our 10-year anniversary. SO excited.
BTW, Diet Coke and PB M&Ms are my favs too!!!
Ahhh, Hawaii dreaming. I love many things on your list! The one thing I can't concur with are the pedicures. Those are only fun if I go with someone. Otherwise I just feel retarded: if I look at a magazine and ignore the pedicurist, I'm a snob. If I try to make awkward small talk, I ruin my relaxation and waste the $.
When will Jake be done traveling? Hang in there, Erin!! I know it's hard. Kurt was gone for 6 months a couple years ago and it was a struggle with the kids, but you'll get through it and soon it will be no more than a memory!
Post a Comment