We headed down to see the redwoods at Big Basin State Park. It was only an hour and a half drive, but it was super windy (like curvy, not blowing wind). We had to pull over for THIS car-sick girl, but mostly I felt horrible for poor little Wyatt. It turns out he got the Hart/Sonners (which side can claim credit for this?) car-sick gene. I passed all my best genes on to him. It was pretty pathetic. He had no idea what was wrong, he just kept whimpering quietly, "No! I don't like it Mama! No...!" I felt horrible. I had so many flashbacks of driving in our Volkswagen Vanagon in the mountains, feeling the puke rising up in my throat, knowing the end was nowhere near. I also have memories of getting puked on by my brother, because he didn't stick his head out the window far enough, but that's another post, another day. But actually, I do have one thing to say: Mom and Dad, would it have killed you to pull over so your kid could puke?? It seems a little insensitive that your response to "Mom, I'm gonna throw up!!" was, "OK, just stick your head out the window..." I also remember being embarrassed whenever we would get out of the car, because the sides were always covered in barf. That's how we would ride. Anyway, I vow here and now to PULL OVER when my kids tell me they are sick, and not tell them to barf out the window. But moving on....
So we all got sick, but we made it. We ate our "picnic," and then got to walk around and see the tall trees. Wyatt was in heaven. He jumped out of the stroller, ran around, climbing in and out of trees looking for monsters, hitting things with sticks, throwing pinecones...it was little boy heaven.
But all good things must come to an end. We drugged the boy with some dramamine, put Erin in the driver's seat, and drove home.
I love that the "Mother of the Forest" is the biggest tree in the park. Not the Father.

Wyatt was excited to climb on this "big stick."



Inside a tree, a little house for Wyatt.

Wyatt looked everywhere for monsters. He didn't find any, just a lot of spiders and cobwebs. Yuck.


On a mossy log...

Wyatt has had these sunglasses for over a year and never showed any interest in them. But he put them on that morning before we left, and didn't take them off for hours. He was "cool." Yes, along with the car-sick gene, I also gave him my "cool" gene. Anyway, he liked standing on this post because it made him tall.


We had a great trip!
7 comments:
poor kid!!! so sad. but your pictures are so cute! that's some good balance to stand on that post unassisted! well done, wyatt!
I very much remember that fateful drive. And laughing my head off at you in the direct line of sprays which trying to avoid any residual barf spray myself. Sometimes I think about it randomly and get the giggles. All these years later. I too am very sensitive about car sickness. Christian who has never even experienced the sensation of dizzy used to not be so sympathetic until I took up throwing up in McDonalds bags. And if there IS one thing that grosses him out its barf. So we're good now. If someone mentions they are sick (usually me) we pull right over. ASAP.
Cute pictures. Wyatt with the sunglasses! Too funny!
I don't have the sympathy gene. When my kids are sick, be it car or otherwise, I have to MAKE myself be kind and gentle and patient. I give them a bowl and we drive on.
You guys do a lot of fun stuff, I'm noticing. I don't have that gene either.
I our defense about not stopping so that a child could throw up, that "car barfing out the window" episode happened ONCE! From then on every child got a dose of dramamine if there was even a hint of a windy road ahead!
Such cute pictures of the boys!
There really IS a carsick gene, and I've passed it on. Sometimes I have to work in Weaverville (terrible road!) and dramamine won't cut it--bonine (for seasickness) keeps my breakfast down but then I'm floppy all day. But I digress: Big Basin is spectacular! Glad everyone recovered enough to enjoy it.
I am so lucky that my dad pulls over. Usually I can take deep breaths and look out the window to quell the sick feeling until we get there. But I remember my dad pulling over when I was a kid so I could lay down in the seat and chill for a bit. He would get out the "Lord of the Rings" books and start reading while we took a break. :)
Those are some awesome photos. Your boys are getting so big!!! I'm loving the sunglasses. He's so stylin'.
Post a Comment