
Susie's house almost caught on fire today. Really, really scary day. Wildfires came within a few hundred feet of her house; she and the rest of the neighborhood were evacuated. Fortunately her house did not receive any damage, but it really got me thinking. How prepared am I in the event of an emergency? The thing that frightens me is that I am not prepared at all. While Susie was telling me about running around her house, trying to grab what she thought she needed, all I could think was how unprepared I am for such an event. I started mentally going through my house, trying to remember where we keep the important documents, pictures, what clothing would we need, what supplies I would need for the myself and the boys, where I would go, etc., etc. It really freaked me out. The leaders of the church are always telling us to be prepared, have an emergency kit, and to have a plan. And in my stupidity, I keep putting it off. Especially lately. We've been so transient, it was so easy for me to say, well, I'll take care of this once we get settled. But emergencies don't wait for us to be settled. It was a very eye opening experience. Needless to say, getting a 72 hour kit and an emergency plan put together are at the top of my to do list right now. How prepared are you?
PS Susie got some great pictures from her camera (this one was from her phone). I'm sure she will post them on her blog soon.
1 comment:
not very. i was thinking some of these same things the other day. how scary. i'm glad susie's house and family are ok! how horrifying. you and me both - get prepared!!
Post a Comment